When Should Your Child's First Visit to the Dentist Be?
Patients of all ages are encouraged to visit the dentist to help keep their teeth and gums healthy. But at what age should your little one’s first visit to the dentist take place? At LANCO Dental Care, our dentists and team love helping make a child’s first dental visit a special and fun experience. We offer a range of pediatric dentistry treatments to help kids of all ages in Lancaster, PA enjoy happy, healthy smiles and establish positive feelings about dentistry early in life.
What is children’s dental care?
Taking care of your child’s teeth and gums right from the start is key to helping them enjoy healthy smiles for life. Even before the first tooth erupts, it’s important to clean your baby’s gums and care for their oral health on a daily basis. As the baby teeth emerge and eventually are replaced with “grown-up” teeth, our Lancaster, PA dentist recommends that you schedule routine visits for your child at LANCO Dental Care for pediatric dentistry services. Children’s dental care focuses on the unique needs of little ones while helping them maintain good oral health and hygiene habits as they grow.
At what age should I schedule my child’s first dental visit?
Both the American Dental Association (ADA) and the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) recommend that children visit the dentist before their first birthday. During this initial appointment, our kid-friendly team can help parents understand how to clean their baby’s teeth, how thumb-sucking and pacifier use might impact their teeth, and other common concerns. We can also help parents determine how often to bring their kids in for dental visits as they go through the childhood stages.
What types of dental care do kids typically need?
Our Lancaster, PA family dentist typically recommends that kids have a dental check-up at least twice each year. During these visits at LANCO Dental Care, we can help you determine the types of dental treatments your child may need to keep their smile healthy and bright. Pediatric dentistry for kids may include a range of services and can address varying needs, such as the following:
- Dental cleanings help remove plaque and tartar from the teeth for continued oral health.
- Dental examinations screen for cavities, orthodontic needs, and other dental conditions.
- Digital dental X-rays let us evaluate for hidden cavities, monitor jaw development, and visualize unerupted teeth.
- Dental sealants cover and protect the chewing surfaces of the back teeth to minimize the risk of tooth decay.
- Fluoride treatments help strengthen tooth enamel and prevent cavities.
- Tooth extractions may be needed to remove stubborn baby teeth or make room for adult teeth to erupt.
- Dental fillings might be recommended to treat decayed, chipped, or damaged teeth.
- Emergency dental care is available when oral injuries, tooth pain, or other unexpected dental issues arise.
- Sports mouth guards can help protect your child’s teeth and gums during athletic activities.
Learn more about pediatric dentistry in Lancaster, PA
At LANCO Dental Care, we have created a fun, positive environment where patients of all ages can feel comfortable and right at home when visiting the dentist. Whether it’s your child’s first dental visit or you’re looking for a new family dentist, our Lancaster PA team offers the quality care you need. Please contact our practice today to schedule your child’s first visit to the dentist. We can’t wait to meet your family’s smiles!